The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

No Questions, Please.

Reporters were invited to hear Mitt Romney’s  speech to a group of business leaders in Washington, DC.  After the talk, when it was time for Mitt to respond to questions from the floor, the reporters were politely asked to leave.  While this is a typical Romney press avoidance procedure, it is ironic that the speech was held in the Newseum, a museum devoted to the news and American journalism. 

No reporters please,
They make me ill at ease
They’re full of base suggestions,
That I can’t handle questions
And my thoughts would simply freeze.
So no reporters please.

No comments: