The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Retroactive Reality

GOP spokesperson  Ed Gillespie tried to clear up the confusion about Mitt Romney's position at Bain between the years 1999 and 2002.  Romney claims he retired from Bain to organize the Olympic Games at Salt Lake City, although he was still listed as the company's CEO until 2002.  Gilllespie said, "He actually retired retroactively at that point. He ended up not going back to the firm after his time in Salt Lake City. So he was actually retired from Bain."  Everything clear now?

 

Some nasty things were done at Bain

And they are hurting my campaign

And though I don't mean to complain

It's not my fault - let me explain:

                I retired from it all

                Retroactively

 

I really won in every debate

The points I made were really great

My opponent's egos did deflate

My arguments were all first rate

                I made them all

                Retroactively

 

Of course I'd give the go-ahead

To kill Osama bin Laden dead

E'en if some advisors said

There's other ways to go instead

                If I could do it all

                Retroactively

No comments: