The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mitt's Secret Tax Returns

Mitt Romney refuses to release more than two years of his tax returns, despite intense pressure from Democrats, and some Republicans, to release more.  His dad famously released 12 years of his returns when he was running for President.  Undoubtedly, there's some info in there that would prove an embarrassment to the Romney campaign.  When Mitt was being considered as a possible vice-presidential candidate for John McCain, he provided the McCain campaign with 23 years of his tax returns.  Rahm Emmanuel put it best, "And when he gave them 23 years, John McCain's people looked at it and said, 'Let's go with Sarah Palin.' So whatever's in there is far worse than just the first year." Finally, Mitt said in his defense, in what has to be the non sequitur of the year, “John Kerry ran for president. You know, his wife, who has hundreds of millions of dollars, she never released her tax returns. Somehow this wasn’t an issue.”  Yes Mitt, but Kerry himself had actually released over 20 years of his own returns by the time he ran for President in 2004. 

I.
Mitt Romney's got a lot of dough
"I'll pay all the tax I owe,
But not a dollar more",  he said.
But tax returns fill him with dread
Because they'll surely show that he
Paid much less tax than you or me.
I'll bet for some years he paid none
so those returns won't see the sun.
He's stashed his cash in banks offshore
And so we'll never really know the score.
Two years' returns he'll let us see
But John McCain saw twenty-three
and said, "For Veep it won't be Mitt
I'll go with Sarah, she'll be a hit."

II.
Mitts tax returns will stay hidden,
To show us more is forbidden.
"I just won't release
More than two years' apiece,
John Kerry's wife also didn't."

No comments: