The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Mitt: I'll be Your Friend...

In Israel, Mitt Romney is scheduled to deliver a speech Sunday night in which he declares his support for Israel’s right to take military action against Iran, if necessary, to block its development of a nuclear weapons capability.

I’ve come to make it understood
That you and I agree
And it’s OK with me
To send some aircraft if you could
And stop Khamenei’s nukes for good.

I’m not supposed to criticize
Our president today
(At least while I’m away)
But I’ll support your enterprise:
Send those aircraft through the skies.

I’d really be your steadfast friend.
If I were Pres, you’d see
No wavering from me.
So if those aircraft you must send
I’ll stick with you until the end.

No comments: