The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Faulty Family Photo

In a new ad released in Michigan, Mitt Romney fondly remembers going to the Detroit auto show with his dad.  The ad displays a picture of him and his dad, purportedly at the auto show, but it was actually taken at the New York World’s Fair, apparently from the helipad. 



I remember well the auto show.
I went there with my dad
When I was just a lad.
The show was in Detroit, I hope you know.

And here’s a picture that shows me and Dad
We’re looking at a car
Kind of from afar
In suits and ties the both of us were clad.

I’ve just been told this photo doesn’t work.
The picture that you see
Was not Detroit…Oh gee,
It was taken in the city of New York!

No comments: