The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mitt Donates Big Bucks to IRS


Mitt Romney released his 2011 tax records on Friday.  He paid an effective tax rate of 14.1%, but this was substantially higher than the 9.6% rate he would have paid if he had claimed all the deductions he was entitled to.  Thus, Mitt donated a substantial sum of money to the IRS in order to fulfill his statement that he has  spent at least 13% of his income in federal income taxes in each of the last 10 years. 

This year Mitt made a lot of dough
But what's he paid in taxes though?
He gave a lot to charity,
That's a Mormon verity.
He's generous to the gov'ment too,
Dismissed what he's entitled to.
He lost a lot of cash to get
His tax rate to 14 percent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, back in July Mitt was also quoted as saying, "If I had paid more than are legally due, I don’t think I’d be qualified to become president.” Sounds Okey dokey to me

The old Etch a Sketch toy must be getting quite a workout at Romney headquarters.

Nessie