The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Chair Lynched in Austin


In Austin, that bastion of Texas liberalism, a homeowner hung an empty chair from a tree branch in his yard.  He was a previous winner of the “Yard of the Month” award from a homeowners association.  When asked about the none-too subtle implication the President Obama should be lynched, the homeowner replied , "I don't really give a damn whether it disturbs you or not. You can take [your concerns] and go straight to hell and take Obama with you. I don't give a shit. If you don't like it, don't come down my street."

Let’s string up an empty chair
I know it’s racist – I don’t care
My speech in this here country’s free
So I can say what pleases me
And if some take it the “wrong” way
That’s exactly what I mean to say. 

1 comment:

Judy Brown said...

Good morning John,

Just about finished with Gail Collins book on Texas influence in politics. She isn't Molly Ivans, but does a good job of showing how much they have influenced what is happening today with the Tea Party. Guess we already knew this, but it is good that someone gets it all down for others to see.