The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Blues for Mr. Romney

I’ll be taking a break for a couple of weeks, but while I’m gone, here are some of Doggerelo’s greatest hits, in case you missed them first time around. 

Thursday, February 16, 2012






Woke up this mornin’, thinkin’ I was still ahead
Well, I woke up this mornin’, thinkin’ I was still ahead
But Rick snuck up on me, so I just went back to bed.


The polls, they must be lyin’, ‘cause I know it can’t be true
The polls they must be lyin’, ‘cause I know it just ain’t true
I been spendin’ lots of money, I’m doin’ all that I can do.

They think that Rick Santorum’s more conservative than me
Yeah, they think that Rick Santorum’s more conservative than me
But he’s a Washington insider, and that’s all he’ll ever be.

At first it was Rick Perry, who ran in front of me
The first was Gov’nor Perry, who ran in front of me
But he fumbled the debates, ‘cause he couldn’t count to three.

And then came Herman Cain, who rose up to go ahead
Oh yeah, that Herman Cain, somehow he got ahead
But then his wife found out that other women shared his bed.

At then it was Newt Gingrich, but he’s just a loud buffoon
Yeah, next it was Newt Gingrich, but he’s a grandiose buffoon
He should take his wife Callista, and go flyin’ to the moon!

I’ve worked the private sector, and I really did OK
Well, I’ve worked the private sector, and I really did OK
I got rid of lots of workers, ’cause they were standin’ in my way.

I don’t care about the poor folks, ‘cause they got a safety net
No, don’t care about them poor folks, they’ve got their safety net
I’ll help people in the middle, ‘cause they’ll vote for me I’ll bet.

I’m ain’t no lefty librul, no matter what they say
I’m not a mod’rate either, no matter what they say
I’m severely conservative and I’ll prob’ly stay that way.

Now I’m a Michigander, it’s really my home state
Yeah, I’m a Michigander, I really love that state
But I said “Let Detroit go bankrupt" and that might seal my fate. 

No comments: