The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rick Santorum is not John McCain

Rick Santorum was asked about President Obama by a woman who said that “legally, he is not [the President]”  and that he was an “avowed Muslim”.  Santorum responded to her question, but did not correct her or express disagreement with her statement.  When it was pointed out that John McCain, in a similar situation in 2008, had corrected the misinformation about Obama, Santorum replied "I am not John McCain and I've never been like John McCain and I'm not running as a candidate who's anything like John McCain." 

Santorum says "It’s not my job
To tell that lady she’s off base
I didn’t want to seem a snob
Or make her feel she’s out of place.

Obama’s not a Muslim, true,
And he’s our legal President
But if some folks don’t have a clue,
To correct them I’d be hesitant."

John McCain, in his campaign
When something similar occurred
Made his position very plain -
He’s not a Muslim, he demurred.

So Rick replied “I’m not McCain”.
Um…Rick? You can say that again. 

No comments: