The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Newt Plots His Revenge

This includes passages from Hamlet, Merchant of Venice, Richard II, and 2 Henry VI. Images from photobucket.com and unicornbooty.com.

This son of Massachusetts wronged me greatly
With the foul,  malicious spewings of his SuperPAC.
And if you wrong me shall I not revenge?
I am myself indifferent honest; but yet
He would accuse me of such things that it
Were better my mother had not borne me: I am
Proud, revengeful, ambitious, with more offences at
My beck than I have thoughts to put them in.

And yet he doth make stuff up! It burdens
My heart with sadness to witness such calumny
that one Republican would visit upon another.
Oft have I heard that grief softens the mind, 
And makes it fearful and degenerate. 
Think therefore on revenge and cease to weep.
I am disgraced, impeach'd and baffled here, 
Pierced to the soul with slander's venom'd spear,
The which no balm can cure but his heart-blood 
Which breathed this poison. The villany you teach
Me, I will execute, and it shall go hard
But I will better the instruction. 


No comments: