The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Newt Reflects on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals

G.O.P. Candidate Newt Gingrich has called for the abolition of the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which hears cases from nine western states, calling it "consistently radical".


Methinks this court doth far too leftish act.
It press upon the nation rulings foul
And pustulant, which forward secret plans
To steal the wealth from those who worketh hard
And handeth it to those who worketh not.
O, Robin Hood! O Marx and Engels! Thy shades
Doth sit at bench on this unruly court!
But I, if chosen to be President,
Will send this court to just oblivion.
My plan is but a simple one yet artful –
Withhold the funds that nourish this rogue court
And by doing so abolish it forever.
We needeth it not – the western cases may
Be heard by courts that rule by strict construction,
A form of law that ever pleaseth me.
Thus will I ensure the courts retain
Obeisance to the rule of law again.
The kinds of judges my support would'st be with
Are those who issue rulings I agree with.

No comments: