The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bishop Finn

On October 14, the New York Times reported that Bishop Robert Finn of Kansas City was indicted for failing to report an instance of child abuse by one of the priests in his diocese.  It is the first time an American Catholic church leader was held criminally liable for the behavior of a priest under his supervision.  


Forgive me, dear Bishop Finn.
I’ve committed a horrible sin.
I took some snap shots
Of a little girl’s crotch.
What terrible trouble I’m in!

Good gracious my dear Father Ratigan
We’ll have to inform the Vatican.
But the cops we’ll forgo
They just needn’t know,
If you’ll  promise not to do that again.

Bishop Finn, you failed to report
A crime of the most heinous sort
There’s lots of excitement
About your indictment.
It’s the first of its kind in this court.

No comments: