The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

The New Person

A constitutional amendment that declares that a fertilized egg is a "person" will be on the ballot in Mississippi November 8.  The amendment would ban all abortions, for any reason, as well as certain contraceptives that block implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus.  

They're voting down south to confirm
That a person's an egg that has taken on sperm.
If that's what the voters decide,
You might be accused of infanticide
If contraceptively,
You choose to use an I.U.D.

No comments: