The poet William Stafford set himself the task of writing a poem a day. When someone asked him what he would do when his poem-of-the-day wasn't very good, he replied "I simply lower my standards." In order to increase output, the bar here is set at a low level - the point of this is to have some fun with current events and politics. I welcome contributions and comments. Now you can also follow Doggerelo on Twitter (@doggerelo). Because of continuing medical problems, I'm no longer able to post a poem-a-day. I'll continue to post poems, but at a reduced frequency, so please stay tuned.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

God's Will


In last night’s Indiana Senatorial campaign debate, Republican Richard Mourdock proclaimed

"The only exception I have to have an abortion is in the case of the life of the mother… I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize life is that gift from God. I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

Romney has distanced himself from this remark but continues to support Mourdock. 

If you get pregnant from a rape
For you there’s really no escape
God’s planned this gift of life for you
There’s really nothing you can do
Abortion’s not to be considered
Accept God’s gift – don’t be embittered -
Instead, you should be overawed
Don’t try to thwart the will of God.

That’s what Mourdock has explained
He thinks knows what God’s ordained
Beware the moral he’d instill:
A woman’s pain is just God’s will. 

No comments: